How to FTP to your web space

Discuss the best programs and how to use them.

Moderators: Ilbin, Chuck, Vanessa

How to FTP to your web space

Postby sunil on Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:59 am

Using Internet Explorer, please use this link: http://www.support.inmotionhosting.com/guide/explorer_ftp_tutorial.html

Using WS_FTP Pro, please use this link: http://www.support.inmotionhosting.com/guide/ws_ftp_tutorial.html

Using Dreamweaver, please use this link: http://www.support.inmotionhosting.com/guide/dreamweaver_tutorial.html

If you are using different FTP program, simply use:

Hostname - (this is your servername, such as gs3.inmotionhosting.com)
Username - (Your InMotion Hosting Username)
Password - (The password associated with your account)
sunil
Administrator

Re: How to FTP to your web space

Postby Anthony Frost on Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:17 pm

I've tried using this method in Windows explorer, Firefox, and IE 6.0. None of them work. Whenever I use the first method (server.inmotionhosting.com) I get a page not found error. If I use the second method I get a user name and password log in screen that refuses to connect. I believe the error lies in the fact that you must use the user@server.com type of log in for your user name. I'm not an expert though.

I can only connect through third party ftp programs that allow for the user@server.com type of login name.

Running XP pro 64 with simple file sharing disabled and enabled both. No dice on either.
Anthony Frost
Forum User

Postby Vanessa on Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:35 am

FTP wouldn't give you a page not found error. With IE6 try using ftp://servername , then hit enter at which point you will get an error (obviously since you're not logged in yet). Then go to file > log in as... and type in your username and password.

My laptop runs Vista 64-bit dual booting to Ubuntu/64 as well, and I tend to have the same issue with IE in Vista. You might want to use an actual FTP client like Filezilla, which works for me on both OS's.
Vanessa
Administrator

Postby daveofny on Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:48 am

I can successfuly ftp by using the method for Internet Explorer as described in the very first post in this topic ... I did this ...viewtopic.php?f=12&t=101.

That's fine, but that does not meet my objectives. I eventually want to run commands/bacth files on my home/local PC (Windows XP Pro) that would allow me to specify files to transfer, and their destination on my webspace. I want to do this programmatically or from a command line as it would take me forever to go dragging and dropping individual files from here to there.

I have a list of files I want to move, I have a list of destinations, I want to input that somehow into some DOS batch file (I can generate a text file with whatever command is required along with the file name, and destination ... done that) and do all this using something like the Window FTP utility.

I am unable to even connect by doing ....

C:> ftp
ftp> open ftp://(username):(password)@my-domain-name.com

what might I be doing wrong ?

The response I always get it ... ftp: connect :Unknown error number
Thanks
daveofny
Forum User

Postby firionicable on Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:30 am

I am just thinking. Does it matter whatever FTP client you are using? Either Filezilla, Cyberduck or anything else to upload and download files to and from your website?
firionicable
Forum User

Return to FTP - (File Transfer Protocol)